Friday, September 27, 2013

Vinotemp VT-12TEDi 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler, Black

Vinotemp VT-12TEDi 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler, Black
  • Sleek, black and stainless mirrored design offers an exclusive modern look
  • Dual-paned glass door offers additional insulation and uv protection
  • Touchscreen control panel located on the cooler door let you set the temperature without opening the door
  • Three sturdy wire pull-out shelves
  • Temperature range of 50 to 66-degree fahrenheit

I had a Kitchen Aid countertop wine cooler which lasted less than one year. After researching all of the top selling 8+ bottle countertop versions, I purchased the Vinotemp from Costco. It lasted 18 months and stopped chilling. Since I regularly cleaned the fan and vent; I contacted Vinotemp. As the previous review states, they recommended purchasing a new control board. I spent $45 for the board including shipping and installed only to have the entire unit fail to reach any temperature below 79 degrees. It is my understanding that countertop coolers typically last 12-24 months due to the built-in obsolescence of the cooling units. I would not buy this size again and suggest investing in the built-in.

Buy Vinotemp VT-12TEDi 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler, Black Now

It will work reasonably well for about 4 months to a year or so and then it will break and the company will do nothing to help you fix it, except offer to sell you an expensive replacement board that is just as defective as the one that just broke. Do a bit of research and do not buy this. I've had two of them after being able to return my first to Costco for a replacement. Second broke just like the first did. If you insist on buying this, you will be replacing it every year.

Read Best Reviews of Vinotemp VT-12TEDi 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler, Black Here

Received this wine cooler as a wedding gift within 2 years had same issues as others report and when contacted the company all they said was "you need to buy a replacement control board" and "we cannot guarantee this will solve the problem" which with shipping costs $45. I could purchase a better, more reliable unit for just over $100 and seems silly to replace a control board that is likely to once again break. I do not recommend this product.

Want Vinotemp VT-12TEDi 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler, Black Discount?

I've had this for a few years now, didn't get it from Amazon but still felt compelled to write a review.

Like everyone else, my unit died on me about two years after I purchased it. I looked into options about fixing it and a new controller board (~$40) was one of them. However, on closer inspection of the controller board, it looked like one of the capacitors was busted (the end of it bubbles out). A little solder work and a new capacitor (~$2 total) and it was working as good as new! I've had it for a year and a half since then with no issues.

If you feel up to the task of fixing the unit and want to get it cheap, look for a broken one on craigslist.

Save 29% Off

I, too, called service @ VinoTemp. Waited on hold for 25 minutes. Confirmed with service that a new board is $47 + $15 shipping = $62.00. I bought mid-2009 from Best Buy for $108.00, so clearly out of their 90-day service window.

Probably best to just ditch it.

However, for you do-it-yourselfers, if you want to fix it, there is a link on their site with instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment