Tuesday, July 29, 2014

GE FCM7SUWW 7 Cu. Ft. White Chest Freezer

GE FCM7SUWW 7 Cu. Ft. White Chest FreezerI live in South Louisiana and I keep this freezer under my patio, so it has to deal with some changes in temperature ... plus the humidity. This GE Chest Freezer is the right size for a small-to-medium-sized family; it is very quiet, energy-efficient (annual estimated cost of $25) and well-designed. Some may scoff at it not being frost-free but, as one who has to endure power blackouts from storms, this is one of the better features: The ice which forms inside the chest actually helps to keep it insulated and frozen for about one week. I purchased my GE freezer from Sam's Club for $177 and I believe it is a great value. I already have two refrigerator freezers, so this one just offers added freezer space for when my wife and I find bargains, or for storing a boat-load of fresh shrimp. You can't go wrong with this one.

I love it. It is just the right size for all the extra's that wouldn't fit in my refrigerator freezer which is also a GE. I am going to buy baskets tho' to put items in for easier identification. I have labels on everything with dates. So far, I am a very happy customer.

Buy GE FCM7SUWW 7 Cu. Ft. White Chest Freezer Now

Like most everyone these days I take advantage of grocery store food sales, especially meat and chicken and never have enough freezer room. For a family of 2, we didn't need a large chest freezer, so I bought this one and it is perfect for our needs.

It's easy to get into and I have labels taped to the top of every package so I know what's in each.

Like another reviewer, I will be buying a couple of extra baskets to keep vegetable packages in smaller items.

I have the freezer in the dining room/kitchen area. We have Pergo flooring so the freezer is sitting on what could be called a large metal 'tray' with edges as I have not had to do a defrost yet and don't know what to expect.

We haven't noticed any change in the electric bill and that's a very good thing!

Plus it's QUIET! We hear it less than we do the refrigerator!

Read Best Reviews of GE FCM7SUWW 7 Cu. Ft. White Chest Freezer Here

We put this freezer in our basement. The only outlet we had was a GFI, so I read the manual to see if there was any reason not to plug it into a GFI. There was nothing about plugging the freezer into a GFI in the manual. (For those of you who don't know GFI is, it is the type of outlet you have in your bathroom to create a shorter circuit so that when you drop your hair dryer into the sink you don't die. It's a circuit breaker, just at the wall instead out at your circuit breaker box.) And after putting a little food in it and going on vacation it tripped the GFI. We lost about $500 of food and we can't get the awful smell out of it. And here is where the story begins....

GE support sent a technician out to look at our freezer. He confirmed the awful smell, and plugged it in to see if if was running (and it was). He told me that I shouldn't plug it into a GFI. When I told him there was nothing in the manual he understood why I was upset. A day later GE support called me back to tell me that they would give us a "deal" of $167.50 for a new freezer (plus a shipping fee). They then informed us that we had 30 days to accept their offer (even with eight months left on the warranty) and that it was their final offer. They said that it wasn't covered because it was plugged into a GFI. I explained that the manual said nothing about GFI. They said that the manual says you have to plug it into a regular outlet. After some back and forth I asked the tech if he knew what a GFI was and he fully admitted that he didn't. I asked for his manager, which turned out the be the manager who made the decision. After talking with her a while I asked her if she knew what a GFI was and she immediately admitted that she didn't know. I got the customer service from Ultimate Electronics (where I got it from) involved). Finally GE technical support admitted that they weren't technical and would have an engineer call me. The tech who came out to us called me and we had a very short conversation because we understood each other, and, more importantly, he understood why it should be replaced. Ultimate called GE on my behalf, but they wouldn't give us anything more than this offer. The offer didn't include their shipping fee which would make it more expensive than what we originally paid. The very friendly and helpful Ultimate representative didn't know what to do to help me but they were more than willing to do what they could. A GFI won't trip unless there is a power surge from a device plugged into it. The only thing plugged into this GFI outlet was the freezer.

So we lost $500 worth of food and have a ruined $200 freezer after a couple months of use because GE won't stand behind their product. So we'll go out of our way to avoid buying any GE products after how much this $200 freezer cost us.

Bottom line, I hope you never have to call GE if this freezer fails. GE Support Case #10260539. Honestly, this is the worst customer service I think I've ever had.

Want GE FCM7SUWW 7 Cu. Ft. White Chest Freezer Discount?

No comments:

Post a Comment