Thursday, September 26, 2013

Koolatron - Koolatron Voyager Cooler

Koolatron - Koolatron Voyager CoolerBefore retiring I drove a tractor trailer cross country for over 20 years, and used a Koolatron chest cooler nearly all that time. When on the road it would be on 24/7 sometimes for weeks at a time, with very few problems. Koolarton has been around for a long time and makes a great cooler. This cooler is a Canadian product, and still made in Canada to my knowledge. These things work great if you use them properly. Unless you are willing to wait a long time for things to cool down, you must cool items down before putting them in the cooler The colder the better). Also if you cool the inside of the cooler first, that would help even more. That's where a AC/DC converter would come in handy to cool the frig in your house before you place it in your vehicle. This type cooler is extremely slow at cooling down warm items, but great at keeping cold items cold.

A trick I learned when in my truck was to bungee my cooler on the passenger seat and direct my AC vent at the fan side of it, that would keep it super cold inside even on one of those 100+ degree days they get around Phoenix AZ. CAUTION:::Everything will start to freeze in there doing this if you don't watch it and open the door regularly. On a hot day with the sun shining on the cooler its a good idea to keep it covered " Newspaper works " to keep the sun off of it. Note::: Keep everything away from the fan, air needs to circulate in that aria. Also don't pack the food to tight in the cooler, air needs to circulate there also.

I have never had an occasion to used it to heat or keep food hot. But I guess if you wanted to transport hot food to Grandma's or a friends house this would work quite well since it does get quite worm in there. Caution !!! Make sure you know what cycle " Hot or Cold " you are on before you start on a road trip. I personally know it is very easy to have it set on heat when you thought it was on cold if you don't double check it.

This P-27 cooler is a medium sized cooler and has a 29 quart capacity, probably the best all around size for the average family. Two liter bottles and milk containers will stand up inside of it. They also come much larger such as the Coolatron P-95 cooler, with a 45 quart capacity. They even come larger than that, if you have a super large family like on some of those TV shows. Of course they come smaller also, I have one that is mentioned at the end of my review.

If traveling a AC/DC Converter is a must if you need to keep things cold in a motel, or for any extended stop that has a 110 Volt wall outlet. Using the converter with your travel frig at home for extra cold drink storage for company might come in handy also. The Black & Decker CV6B / Vector VEC004 / Travel Mate / Rubbermaid / 6.0 Amp AC/DC Converter will do the job nicely.

I would not let the cooler run with your engine off for much more than a couple of hours, " Enough time to stop for a long lunch or dinner while you are traveling but not to much longer " unless you are ready to have your car jump started. I don't know precisely how long your battery would last, that would depend on the condition and size of it. I do know I have left mine on for over 2 hours in my car with no problems whatsoever.

If used for very long periods of time, dust will accumulate around the fan aria and cut down on it's efficiency. Just remove the fan cover every 6 month's or so and clean out the dust if needed.

I still have a Koolatron chest cooler,that I use for longer trips. But I also have a smaller Black & Decker TC212B Travel Cooler & Warmer which also works well. I use this for day or weekend trips, when I don't have to take to much with me. Check out my review on it for more tip's. Before you leave how about a thumb's up for this review; lots of good advice for you. Thanx

I purchased this cooler for my truck driver spouse in July 2010. Over the years, I have purchased numerous coolers for him and almost none of them last past a year. Warning signs of impending breakdown comes at about six months. So, when I was informed that, yet again, another cooler purchase was in order, I decided to do a bit of research to find a cooler that provides cooling along with durability; which, ended in me buying this item.

According to my spouse this is his best cooler so far.

His likes:

Most important: It keeps food good and cold.

Quiet.

Even when warm to the touch on the outside, inside is beautifully chilled.

His dislikes (though, not enough to strongly condemn)

Power cord falls out easily. This requires frequent checks.

Latch to lock cooler is easily knocked off when closing cooler. However, it is not difficult to reattach.

So, there you have it. I'll update this review on occasion to let everyone know the status of this product.

Update: July 2012-My spouse has been using this cooler for two years now. There's been no issues and it keeps chugging along keeping his food and drink items cold. I would highly recommend this product for anyone that is looking for a reliable cooler that is up for some heavy use.

Buy Koolatron - Koolatron Voyager Cooler Now

I bought this cooler for our road trip to Myrtle Beach. I worked out well. I have a baby so I needed to bring lots of snacks, milk and juice for him. I was also able to bring grown up snacks as well. The cooler held everything nice and I still had tons of room for much more. If you have the space it's nice to keep in the car to keep food in when your out and about all day. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Read Best Reviews of Koolatron - Koolatron Voyager Cooler Here

Owned this cooler for just over a year, yes I did use it a lot as a truck driver. Fans have died making cooler / heater non operational and a possible fire hazard... when fans quit working the heat side of the exchanger got extremely hot to the point of way to hot to touch. If I had been away from the cooler for a significant amount of time it may have gotten to the plastic melting / fire stage.

As far as operation when it was working, 1-2 items close to cold air output would be nice and cold, rest of items in cooler are cool not cold. Also very ambient temperature dependent... EG: If you leave it on in winter < 40 Degrees your items will most likely freeze... in summer 3-4 hours to cool down a couple of items.

For Truck drivers the trick is to place the cooler where an A/C vent can blow on the cooler, works really great then.

Overall, cooler worked fine for my needs of cool drinks on the road, the short life span for the price however is a huge disappointment.

Want Koolatron - Koolatron Voyager Cooler Discount?

It does a good job keeping cold things cold. Slow to cool warm things, as expected. Koolatron's 3 amp rating is inaccurate for my P-27, which overloaded a 4 amp regulated power supply but is happy on a 5.5 amp regulated supply.

Save 36% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment