Friday, August 30, 2013

12 Volt Portable RV Refridgerator 12v Freezer Truck Fridge Car Portable Electric Boat Fridge (2-Yea

12 Volt Portable RV Refridgerator 12v Freezer Truck Fridge Car Portable Electric Boat Fridge
  • For use in Use in boats, RV's, camping and off-road vehicles.
  • 12/24 V DC & 110 V AC with auto switch.
  • UL and CUL approved
  • Volume: 40 Quarts
  • Two Year Warranty

I just purchased an Engel MR040 fridge/freezer based on the companies' reputation and consumer reviews of Engel. Product looks very durable and cools quickly and relatively quietly.

I bought the unit to install in the cuddy of my boat, to be fixed mounted with the Engel transit slide mount.

Following the instructions that came with the transit slide mount I removed the rubber corner protectors and installed the 4 round mounting feet.

Problems -

The problem is that on the compressor side of the unit the round feet come in contact with bolt heads on the bottom of the unit, and the round feet will not sit flush against the bottom of the unit. I fixed that by notching the feet so that they would clear the bolt heads.

Also, one of the bolts that secures the round feet the unit on the compressor side when tightened makes contact with something inside the unit causing a loud noise from the fan (since the rubber corners were removed I could see that the head of the bolt was touching something inside the unit so I removed that foot and the noise went away so I inserted a spacer between the bolt head and the foot and secured the foot to the unit and now the foot is secure and not contacting the compressor and the fan noise went away.

Engel needs their tech guys try to put together the MR040 with the transit slide so they can address these problems.

The fix could be prenotching the round feet and supply shorter bolts to attach the round feet.

I am not so impressed that I had to re-engineer the fridge, since I spent a lot of money for it, and I'm sure that other not so "handy" buyers would not been able to figure out how to do what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment