Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Watts K-1 Polyethylene Icemaker Kit, 25-Feet

Watts K-1 Polyethylene Icemaker Kit, 25-FeetI got this kit to run a water line from my kitchen sink to my refrigerator's ice maker. I am not a plumber, but I do understand the basic concepts of plumbing and have tackled a few small plumbing jobs. The included instructions are not the best if you need to be walked through every little step, but if you have an experience level similar to me you should be able to get through it.

The kit I got had slightly different pieces than what is in the product picture, however it did have everything I needed. The picture shows 2 nuts and some washers to go on the bolts that hold the two pieces of the saddle together. In the kit I received there were no nuts or washers because the nuts are actually welded to the bottom part of the saddle and the bolts just screw directly into them. All other pieces were the same.

According to the instructions the self-tapping saddle valve that comes with this kit can only be used to tap into a supply line that is 3/8" to 1-3/8" plastic or copper so make sure and check the size and material of the line you will tap into if you plan on using this valve. My sink line is mostly the flexible stainless steel, but fortunately there was about a foot of copper pipe between that and the faucet which I was able to tap into. The one problem I had with this kit was with threading the saddle onto the tap-valve. If you look at the product picture it shows the T-valve already has half of the "saddle" on it, but mine came with that saddle part separate. You are suppose to be able to just screw that saddle on the tap-valve (it's already threaded so should not be an issue), however the hole in the saddle was slightly too small. I had to take a pair of vice-grips and and adjustable wrench and man-handle the thing on. After a good bit of elbow grease I was able to finally get it on, though, and after that installing the valve was very easy. After you tighten the saddle around the pipe (and put the included rubber gasket below the T-valve), you simply start turning the T-valve clockwise as far as it will go and there is a spike inside that pierces the supply line. It was so easy that I did not even feel it going into the pipe and actually thought at first it wasn't going down far enough to pierce it. When I turned the valve back the other way, though, water started flowing just like it should.

Then it was just a matter of running the plastic line to my fridge and using the included supplies to connect it. I used plumbers tape on all the threads just as a precaution, but supposedly you do not have to if you don't want to.

I would again caution anyone who wants a clear step-by-step guide from this kit, but I think as long as you have a basic understanding of plumbing you will be OK. I am giving it 4 stars due to the saddle valve issue and since the instructions could be better. For the price, though, I think this is hard to beat.

The local HD was charging a lot more for this same kit so I came here. This installed without a problem, saddle valve seems like it'll hold up. A common problem I've seen with the valves is they start leaking after they've been used (open/closed) a lot so only time will tell if the 7$ was worth it. It's about the same quality you would find from any kit in the sub 20$ price range. I prefer polyethylene over copper because it's easier to work with needing to move fridge in and away from wall primarily. You also wont have the copper taste with poly likewise I noticed no real plastic or unusual tastes with this. If you wanted to do it right you could probably get a better PEX line, or even go with braided/SS. But, it probably won't pay off I expect this to last the life of the fridge.

Buy Watts K-1 Polyethylene Icemaker Kit, 25-Feet Now

I got this on time but when I got everything hooked up it leaked at the refrigerator. Had to buy some extra fittings and then it still leaked. Come to find out that the tubing is not a true 1/4 inch so the fittings they sent in the kit let the water leak out. Went back to the store and bought more tubing and did it all over again and now it works. The only thing that did work was the saddle piece that you attach to the water supply. Would not recommend this to anybody.

Read Best Reviews of Watts K-1 Polyethylene Icemaker Kit, 25-Feet Here

I used this kit to install a water filter under the sink. While I didnt use all the items I used most of the kit. It is a good price for all that you get

Want Watts K-1 Polyethylene Icemaker Kit, 25-Feet Discount?

I would spend a little extra money and buy the pieces seperately. The hose is very low end. I would go braided stainless or copper and I would not use that hole puncture connection piece. I would just get a some kind of t valve. It is easy enough to figure out I am not very handy and with the homedepot guy and some common sense I figured it out and it the out come is mutch better than this kit.

Save 2% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment