Monday, December 30, 2013

1/2" Compression Hose End Plug Raindrip Replacement .620 OD with 3/4" Cap - Green Ring

1/2' Compression Hose End Plug Raindrip Replacement .620 OD with 3/4' Cap - Green RingI have complained about the Rain Bird 1/2'" hose & fittings because they differ in size from the ones I use from Orbit & DIG. These are .620" OD (outside diameter) and are noted by the green ring and are the about the only ones I have found that fit the Rain Bird hose. There are other fittings that look exactly like these but are .710" OD, marked with a blue ring, and though both are noted as 1/2-inch systems the parts are not interchangeable. Most of these fittings are pretty pricey but if you look at the other sellers you can easily find them for around a buck and buying in quantity does pay off in combined shipping with places like Grady's Online & Irrigation Direct. I purchased a total of 18 pieces (6 couplings, 4 tee's & 8 hose ends) and the total, with shipping, was about 13 bucks. Amazon sells the hose end at about 4 bucks each so you do the math.

These are great fittings and I use them on systems that operate with a pressure reducer at 25PSI so I can't say how effective they would be at higher pressures. The downside is that once on they do not come off and that's why they get 4 stars. I much prefer the Orbit & DIG systems because parts are interchangeable (these will not work on them because they are yet another variation in the 1/2 -inch measurement) and they can easily be removed if you want to add more hose or change an end cap to a tee. I purchased 500' of Rain Bird hose not knowing that I would end up with a 1/2-inch drip line that required special fittings so I have had to buy even more fittings to get the line useable. It's your choice which way you go but don't pay more than a buck for these fittings and since I can't buy them locally I'm glad there's some choice on Amazon. I still prefer the Orbit & Dig because home centers carry parts and they're pretty cheap also. If you remove one of these fittings you will need to use another fitting to use it again... if you want to remove and end cap to extend a line you will need to add a coupling ahead of the end cap to use it again so don't cut them off too close... or you can use a female hose end, remove the cap and screw them together. I have several pretty extensive drip line systems that cover several large gardens, trees, shrubs and flowers so the cost of parts adds up quickly. Bottom line... nice fittings, can't be removed and I think they're somewhat inferior to the Orbit & DIG line of fittings.

No comments:

Post a Comment